ESG in Alternative Investments
ESG in Alternative Investments focuses on ESG applications in private markets. The course teaches investors how to identify, assess and incorporate material ESG factors in the investment process and how to select, appoint and monitor external managers. Learners choose between one of two asset class-specialist versions of the course: focusing on either private equity and private debt, or real estate and infrastructure.
ESG in Alternative Investments
ESG in Alternative Investments takes a step-by-step look at how to integrate ESG factors into the investment process, from deal sourcing, decision making, ownership/holding period and exit. Modules are augmented by theoretical case studies that prompt critical thought. Videos, interactive exercises, free-text boxes, and test-your-understanding questions engage learners from start to finish.
ESG in Alternative Investments also addresses the growing interest in responsible alternative investments, private vs public markets, material ESG factors and selection, appointment and monitoring of fund managers. Toolkits from the investment industry help build longer-term understanding and are accessible in an easy-to-find resources index at the end of each module.
Learners may choose between two versions of the course, each with a different asset class-focused specialism:
1. Private equity and debt
2. Real estate and infrastructure
Whichever specialism they choose, learners will have access to the two other asset class modules as optional further reading upon completion of the core course. The optional modules will not be covered in the final assessment.
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- Compare responsible investment practices in public and private markets
- Identify and incorporate ESG risks and opportunities throughout the investment lifecycle across alternative asset classes and investment strategies
- Apply an ESG lens to the selection, appointment and monitoring of external managers in private markets
- Recognise industry frameworks, standards and initiatives linked to global best practices, and how to apply them to the investment process
Hear from four of PRI’s world-leading subject matter experts, answering questions such as:
- What can buy-out funds do to manage ESG risks throughout investment?
- What efforts have you seen in the industry to meet Net Zero commitments? What holds private equity back?
- How does ESG reconcile with private equity's reputation? What are the opportunities?
- How private debt investors respond to ESG, and what do they care most about?
- How can ESG factors affect a private debt investor's balance sheet?
- How can private debt investors think about ESG risk?
- How can you use real estate tools like CRREM in practice?
- What are the most important issues for real estate investors?
- What role does the lending market have to play?
- How can infrastructure investment help meet sustainable development goals?
- What's the main difference between greenfield and brownfield assets?
- What are the hot-button issues for infrastructure investors?